Thursday, July 26, 2012

Inspire Me Friday: Using Multiple Techniques


Happy Friday, everyone! This week I wanted to challenge myself by using multiple crafting techniques in the same project. For this birthday card, I incorporated coloring, die-cutting, embossing and machine stitching into the design. I began with an A2 card base upon which I stamped an image from the Penny Black Betsy Bluebell stamp set using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored her in using assorted Copic markers and paper-pieced Betsy's dress together using a scrap of paper I had from the My Mind's Eye Everyday Flair 6 x 6 paper pad. I then added some Glossy Accents to the balloons and heart-shaped barrettes.


 Next, I wanted to create a window to lay over the base of the card. I trimmed a piece of pink card stock down to 4 x 5.25 inches and die-cut the window using Papertrey Ink's Mat Stack 3 die using my Cuttlebug. In order to incorporate the paper-piecing into the rest of the design, I adhered a strip of the scrap paper onto the bottom of the panel. I then ran this through my Cuttlebug using the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder. Lastly, I felt like the window panel needed a border element, so I machine stitched around the edges with teal colored thread. I used foam dots to adhere the pink panel to the white base. Foam dots or foam tape are great for adding dimension to any scrapping project!


Of course, no birthday card feels complete without a sentiment! The "hi" stamp from the Precious Remembrance Positive Thoughts stamp set was absolutely perfect for this card! The dashed lines look like stitching, and the little heart matches the heart barrettes in Betsy's hair! Furthermore, the sweet font and simple "hi" fit the style of this card beautifully. I stamped the sentiment onto a strip I die-cut using Papertrey Ink's Double-Ended Banners Die. I added a light blue button as a final touch!


 I hope I've inspired you to incorporate multiple tools and techniques into a single project. My workstation does get a little cluttered when working with so many different tools, but after everything's cleaned up and put away, I'm always satisfied with the dynamic project I've created!


Links to check out:


No comments:

Post a Comment