Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo

I've been loving Tim Holtz line of Distress Inks by the parent company Ranger. They're alcohol-based dye inks that are great for blending and allow for creating an "aged" look on paper, shadowing, stamping, etc. I use them primarily to ink around edges and my handful of Distress ink pads have become staples in my crafting! In the above set of cards, I used Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I used Vintage Photo in the card below, as well. 

In order to use the ink to blend along the edges of paper, I use the Ranger Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool and Foam. I used to (and sometimes still do) use a piece of a dry kitchen sponge. It's not as convenient as the blending tool, but it does lend a more rustic-looking and rough effect. All the products mentioned can be found on the Ranger Ink website:

The above image is from
For more information about how to use Distress Ink, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube!


  1. Thank you for this post, I'm using ink for my journal, and since I'm relatively new to it, I've been wondering where to get it, and what type works the best to get the vintage look.

  2. Hi, Ivana! I think that Vintage Photo is the most versatile for creating a vintage look since Tea Dye is a bit too light for me. I think Walnut Stain would be another one that I think would work (I personally don't have it). You can purchase these inks from a store like Michael's or Jo-Ann in the US, but you'll find a greater selection online.